Chief of Staff (to CTO)
Fourthline is a leading RegTech scale-up that has been growing massively in the Identity & verification (ID&V) space for the past 3 years. The foundation of this is a product that we are proud of and ready to take to the next level by extensive automation and expert knowledge. In order to organize our product and engineering organization we now look for a Chief of Staff that can accelerate innovation, new projects and help organizing the daily work in a wide array of business tasks alongside our CTO, Ralph.
In this role you will work alongside the CTO in all business aspects and act as a strategist, advisor, and decision-maker through your involvement with operations, recruiting, and special ad hoc projects. You will act as an extension of the CTO and team ensuring their time and attention are focused on the highest impact initiatives. The Chief of Staff is a unique role that will test the mettle of most. We are looking for candidates with 5+ years of experience in a fast-paced environment and the core of it will be becoming a CTO / Executive Staff multiplier, where you will empower and bring out the best in them. It’s definitely not for the faint of heart, and we are looking for someone that is seeking to be challenged in a high-profile role at a venture-backed startup.
…Driving forward initiatives across Fourthlines wide-ranging Product & Engineering Organization and that fits our wider company mission to fight financial crime & protect the online financial system by developing the safest and most customer friendly digital KYC solution. We share a love for fighting financial crime and building a beautiful product with a positive impact on the world.
To bring success in this role it is critical that you are a high-energy, organized, analytical and motivated expert to support our CTO and the broader Executive team. As “Chief of Staff” your primary role will be assisting the CTO in critical, day-to-day operational and executive work, but you can envision tasks like:
Develop data-driven goals, track progress, and ensure prioritization and decision-making at all levels
Planning and forecasting - Build and drive the operating model, org structure, including the required resources, business cases, and broader
Improve current processes and coordinate organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity
Manage CTO’s priorities and time to maximize his effectiveness; keep track of important projects, act on his behalf and keep him accountable on promises and most relevant/urgent/important projects and tasks
- Work directly with the CTO to prepare data-driven updates for our Board of Directors and Investment Team, helping prepare for quarterly board presentations and shareholder updates
Stakeholder Management; be up to date and informed on all developments within the different departments of Fourthline and stay on top of developments
Drive the tech scheduling structure in taking ownership on Quarterly Business Reviews, Board Meetings, and staff meetings
Drive tech talent and culture initiatives
with People Operations, including recruiting, onboarding, learning and development, performance management, talent reviews, and retention
Review market trends and be on top of competitor developments
and much more.... but in the end, you enable our CTO to work faster, better and gain more insights across and about the entire organization.
Master’s/ MBA degree in technology, business, or a related field.
5+ years of experience in product, engineering, or technical consulting roles and a track record of successful positions of increasing responsibility.
- Strong people-, quantitative- and critical thinking skills
- Deep familiarity with highly technical product development teams and processes across software, product, user experience, and data science, and an understanding of the applicability of different skills and methodologies
- Proven ability to influence without authority and build strong partnerships independently, working on and with technical and cross-functional or highly matrixed teams who do not report into this role to creatively solve complex problems.
- You have experience working autonomously and have a strong track record of executing (and not only conceptualizing) projects
- You have a (near-)native control over the Dutch and English language in writing and speaking
About you & good to haves
Preferred to have at least 3 years of experience working with fintech/ finance/ compliance products and an appreciation of the unique challenges in developing innovative technology solutions to impact fraud reduction
Exceptional communication skills to represent complex topics with senior leaders.
Deep familiarity with Agile and Agile at Scale
- Strong self-initiative and persistence with a bias for action; able to deal with a high degree of ambiguity and drive clarity.
- Experience with budget management
- Extensive experience with stakeholder management, cross-functional partnerships, and executive leadership and communication skills to be an articulate and persuasive leader across Fourthline.
- Experience working in high growth start-up companies
- Trustworthy with high integrity, and the ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality
Ambitious and mission motivated - you want to be a Founder, CTO, or COO one day and are looking for the quickest way to get this experience
Decisive - you know how to get to the root of an issue and drive towards a decision
Learns quickly and can teach themself anything with translation into quick execution
- Strong interest in technology and AI/ML (think API, architecture, conceptual thinking and understanding)
At Fourthline, we care about attracting and retaining the best people and that is why we offer
- Great compensation package, certainly compared to other scaleups/startups;
- The chance to work at the forefront of cutting-edge technology, teaming with the biggest names in fintech and banking;
- An opportunity to work for a multinational scale-up that is growing rapidly (1,000% growth over 3 years);
- Opportunities to match your ambitions: Your ideas will be needed so that together we can become the biggest and best online identity provider in the world (whilst releasing other new products!);
- 25 days of vacation to recharge your batteries;
- A workplace in our fun office right next to the beautiful Vondelpark in Amsterdam;
- Daily catered, fresh and tasty lunch with your colleagues (when allowed again);
- After-work drinks in our very own bar on Fridays (when allowed again);
- High degree of collaboration and autonomy;
- Crucial role in a highly motivated, talented team that will grow a lot;
- Flat structures and open communication;
- Ping pong/darts/table football, because it is fun (when allowed again);
- Five office dogs (current count).
NOTE: For this role we can only consider people that are Amsterdam/Randstad area based (We will not relocate from outside Europe - due to Corona). We will be able to offer sponsorship to those that already hold an HSM status in the Netherlands.